Tuesdays with Gorney: Latest on the top 50 standouts in 2024
Many of the top 50 prospects in the new 2024 Rivals250 have already committed but some of those are trying to be flipped by other programs and a bunch remain on the market.
Here’s the latest in today’s Tuesdays with Gorney.
RIVALS RANKINGS WEEK
Sunday: Who should be the No. 1 prospect in the 2024 Rivals250?
Monday: Five-Star Countdown | Meet the new five-stars
Tuesday: Rivals250 released | Biggest Movers
Wednesday: Offensive position rankings released
Thursday: Defensive position rankings released
Friday: State rankings released
1. Dylan Raiola: After a surprise decommitment from Ohio State, it looked like the five-star quarterback had Georgia on top of his list. The Bulldogs are still right there but Nebraska and USC have absolutely made a big impression.
2. Jeremiah Smith: An Ohio State commitment from mid-December, Smith still looks locked in with the Buckeyes where he could play with former South Florida Express teammates Brandon Inniss and Carnell Tate but Miami is trying very hard to flip him along with Florida, Florida State, Alabama and others.
3. Colin Simmons: There has been a lot of chatter LSU is very high on Simmons’ list and he certainly has not denied that but Georgia, TCU, Texas and Tennessee are some early favorites to watch.
4. Eddrick Houston: Georgia could end up being difficult to beat for the new five-star defensive end but Alabama is not going to give up easily with Ohio State and Michigan State as two other early standouts to watch although many others remain in the running.
5. Julian Sayin: The five-star quarterback committed to Alabama in early November and even though the Crimson Tide switched offensive coordinators from Bill O’Brien to Tommy Rees it might only solidify his pledge since Rees recruited Sayin to Notre Dame and they have hit it off before.
6. Micah Hudson: Ohio State is a school to watch for Hudson because of its success developing receivers but Texas is absolutely a real player along with Texas Tech because he has great relationships with the coaches in Lubbock. There are many others in the mix, too.
7. Mike Matthews: This could end up being a decision between Clemson and Georgia and the Tigers might have a slight edge at this point but Tennessee and Alabama are two others to watch among others.
8. Justin Scott: The feeling is that Notre Dame still looks very strong here and that some close to the Chicago (Ill.) St. Ignatius standout want him to play for the Irish but he’s delayed his commitment and will visit Georgia as the Bulldogs push hard and they can never be ignored.
9. Peyton Woodyard: The new five-star safety from powerhouse Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco committed to Georgia in early January and he remains completely locked in with the Bulldogs.
10. Jadyn Davis: The five-star quarterback from Charlotte (N.C.) Providence Day has hinted he’d prefer to get his recruitment wrapped up soon and now that coach Jim Harbaugh plans to return to Michigan, the Wolverines have to like their position here. North Carolina, Tennessee, Clemson and others remain involved.
11. Joshisa Trader: Miami is the front-runner at this point for the Hollywood (Fla.) Chaminade Madonna five-star receiver as the Hurricanes continue to make him a top priority and he could be the star of this 2024 class. Ohio State is also right there, though, as playing with his teammate Smith is a big draw as well.
12. Kamarion Franklin: The in-state SEC programs - Ole Miss and Mississippi State - are absolutely contenders in his recruitment but the guess right now would be that he leaves the state with Alabama, Texas A&M and Tennessee looking best.
13. Myles Graham: A Florida legacy who is the son of former NFL running back Earnest Graham, the new five-star linebacker committed to the Gators in August before coach Billy Napier even coached a game in Gainesville. He looks locked in as Alabama and Auburn try hardest to flip him.
14. David Stone: A native of Oklahoma, the new five-star from Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy has the Sooners and Michigan State high on his list since every time he visits East Lansing he loves it more and more. But Stone plans to visit Ohio State soon with Miami, Texas A&M and Washington on his watch list as well.
15. KJ Bolden: There is a strong feeling that Bolden will end up at Georgia after he’s developing such a comfort level with the Bulldogs after visiting Athens so often but Alabama is right there as well with Ohio State, Clemson and many others high on the list as well. Before any decisions are made, Bolden wants to make a West Coast swing.
16. Ryan Wingo: The five-star receiver could have more of an interesting recruitment ahead as Tennessee and Notre Dame could be battling right at the top but Michigan, Missouri, Texas A&M and many others remain in the mix.
17. TJ Capers: The Miami (Fla.) Columbus five-star linebacker committed to Louisville in early January but Miami is definitely not giving up on the local prospect as many other Southeast programs are trying to stay in the mix.
18. CJ Carr: Carr’s commitment to Notre Dame in late June surprised some - including 2023 five-star QB Dante Moore who had the Irish at the top at that point - but it’s been watched closely recently with OC Tommy Rees’ move to Alabama. It’s expected that Carr remains pledged to the Irish as he is in communication with coach Marcus Freeman about the next hire.
19. Jordan Seaton: Tennessee, Florida, Alabama, Colorado and Michigan have made an impression on the four-star offensive lineman but Georgia is now the team to watch after he had a phenomenal visit to Athens recently and hit it off with position coach Stacy Searels.
20. Williams Nwaneri: A recent visit to Tennessee went very well as the Volunteers move up his list and Ohio State is absolutely high as well after a recent offer. But Missouri, Oregon, Oklahoma and Alabama are top of mind as well.
21. Eddy Pierre-Louis: There has been chatter that Florida is the team to beat for the powerful offensive lineman and that could certainly remain the case but Oregon, Ohio State, Miami, Florida State and Michigan State have also caught his eye.
22. Justin Williams: Oregon is believed to be the leader and the Ducks might’ve been close to a commitment in recent months as Texas, Texas A&M, Ohio State and others battle to stay involved with the Conroe (Texas) Oak Ridge linebacker.
23. Sammy Brown: A heated battle between Clemson and Georgia continues for the four-star linebacker from Jefferson, Ga. Brown continues to visit both programs and the rumor is the Tigers have the slight edge as he fits in well there with the coaching staff and their vision for the program. But Georgia is making a serious and concerted push as Tennessee, Ohio State and others lurk as well.
24. NY Carr: The high four-star receiver from Moultrie (Ga.) Colquitt County committed to Georgia over Michigan and many other Southeast schools and he’s given no indication he’s thinking of others.
25. Jordon Johnson-Rubell: The four-star safety has a top 10 list but the Fort Worth, Texas native definitely likes the Longhorns a lot, is intrigued by the development at Ohio State, has a lot of interest in USC and then TCU and others remain in the mix.
26. Zaquan Patterson: Georgia and Miami have been two programs that have intrigued Patterson since the start of his recruitment as those two battle it out but a trip to Ohio State could definitely move the Buckeyes even higher and then a trip to Michigan is also being seriously considered.
27. Ernest Willor: There is a little less known exactly about what Willor is thinking in his recruitment but the Baltimore native who’s now at Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy is definitely serious about Penn State and Maryland and the feel is he could return closer to home for college.
28. Charles Lester III: Florida State is the dream school for the Sarasota (Calif.) Riverview standout and the Seminoles are definitely right there but if the pick was today it seems like Alabama has the edge in his recruitment. Georgia, Florida and Ohio State round out the top five.
29. Ellis Robinson: Georgia was considered the front-runner for a long time when it came to the four-star cornerback and he committed to the Bulldogs on Feb. 1.
30. Dylan Stewart: South Carolina, Penn State, Ohio State, Georgia and Michigan are the five front-runners for the Washington (D.C.) Friendship Collegiate Academy four-star defensive end. Some believe South Carolina is ahead in his recruitment while other still think he ends up in the Big Ten.
31. Dylan Williams: A wide swath of schools remains in it for the Long Beach (Calif.) Poly linebacker who wore an Oregon sleeve at a recent 7-on-7 event with USC rebuilding that relationship after a prior commitment and UCLA also involved in the Pac-12. But trips to Miami, Alabama and Tennessee could be important and it seems like Williams still has a lot of avenues to pursue before a pledge.
32. Ian Moore: The four-star offensive tackle from New Palestine, Ind., committed to Ohio State in October and remains happily committed to the Buckeyes.
33. Landen Thomas: A teammate of fellow Georgia commit Ny Carr, Thomas made his pledge to the Bulldogs in early July and remains solid. Michigan and Ohio State were others involved and Miami was the childhood dream school but he looks locked in with UGA.
34. Bryce West: Michigan might be trying hard to land the Cleveland (Ohio) Glenville four-star cornerback but it very much feels like Ohio State is far-and-away the leader for him. If West lands with the Wolverines it would definitely be a big surprise.
35. Kameron Davis: A Florida State commitment since February 2021, Davis remains happily pledged to the Seminoles but many programs are trying to flip him and the four-star has been taking visits with Ohio State, Georgia, Tennessee, Auburn and others trying to flip him.
36. Brandon Davis-Swain: After backing off an early pledge to Notre Dame, Davis-Swain is restarting his recruitment with Colorado, Michigan and USC standing out with Wisconsin and others staying in the mix.
37. Quinton Martin: Many others are heavily involved but it could end up being a regional battle for the Belle Vernon, Pa., running back as Penn State looks best at this point with Pittsburgh and Ohio State right in the mix as well.
38. T.A. Cunningham: Originally from Johns Creek, Ga., Cunningham is now playing at Los Alamitos, Calif., and his recruitment is nationwide as well. Visits to Miami, Penn State, Tennessee and Colorado are coming up but Cunningham is also high on Georgia and some other SEC schools and then USC is working hard on him to stay close as well.
39. Mylan Graham: Ohio State has been the school to watch early in Graham’s recruitment as position coach Brian Hartline really likes the New Haven, Ind., standout but other Big Ten programs are definitely in the mix as well.
40. Kam Pringle: In late January, the four-star offensive lineman from Dorchester, (S.C.) Woodland committed to South Carolina over Clemson, Florida, Georgia, NC State and Tennessee and has shown no signs of backing off it.
41. Kobe Black: Texas is probably the early front-runner for the Waco (Texas) Connally standout but his brother plays at Oklahoma State so that’s one to watch and then Oklahoma, LSU and Baylor are definitely very much in the mix.
42. Cam Williams: The Glen Ellyn (Ill.) Glenbard South four-star receiver committed to Notre Dame over the summer and there’s no indication Williams will head anywhere else.
43. Trey’Dez Green: It would be a surprise if the Jackson (La.) East Feliciana four-star tight end doesn’t end up at LSU since it’s right down the road and the Tigers have made him a big priority but Alabama, Ole Miss and others remain in the mix.
44. Nicholas Marsh: The River Rogue, Mich., four-star receiver committed to Michigan State in July and there have been no signs he’s backing away from it as Oklahoma offered in recent days and others are trying to stay involved as well.
45. D.J. Lagway: After a really competitive recruitment with Florida, Texas A&M, LSU and many others involved, the Gators won out for his commitment in early December and Lagway has shown no signs of backing away from it.
46. Elijah Brown: As some 2024 quarterbacks are rushing to make commitments, Brown has stayed really patient with USC and Oregon interested but many others are in the mix with Washington, Cal, Stanford and many others involved.
47. Demarcus Riddick: Georgia landed a major commitment when Riddick picked the Bulldogs this fall but Alabama is still trying hard to flip the Clanton (Ala.) Chilton County standout who is very high on the Crimson Tide’s board.
48. Daniel Calhoun: Georgia is considered the slight front-runner for the massive offensive lineman from Roswell (Ga.) Centennial but Alabama, Auburn, Florida, other SEC programs and Clemson are all trying to make a major push.
49. Adarius Hayes: In late January, Hayes committed to Florida over Notre Dame and many others and has shown no signs of rethinking his decision.
50. Dre’lon Miller: There are mixed signals coming out here because many feel Georgia has the slight edge for Miller but Texas A&M is definitely right there as well and Texas is also making it interesting for the Silsbee, Texas standout who had a big junior season.