Three-Point Stance: Farrell 50 shockers, sleeper classes, more
Rivals.com National Recruiting Director Mike Farrell’s Three-Point Stance is here with thoughts on surprises in the Farrell 50, teams having quiet but effective recruiting years and five huge prospect predictions as we head to Signing Day.
1. TEN COMPLETE SHOCKERS FROM THE FARRELL 50
After going through the Farrell 50, my list of the top 50 college football players in the country, and seeing how they were ranked coming out of high school, it struck me that a few of them are complete shockers. Here are the ones that surprised me the most.
1. QB Joe Burrow, LSU — Anyone who tells you they saw this coming with Burrow is either related to him or lying. He’s was a solid quarterback prospect who should have had an unremarkable career. Now he’s the best player in college football and could be the No. 1 pick in the upcoming NFL Draft.
2. FIVE UNDER-THE-RADAR 2020 CLASSES
Stars matter as we saw in the national title game, but sometimes team rankings can be misleading. Here are five classes in 2020 not ranked that high that are very good...
1. Texas — Things have been very up and down for Tom Herman and company in this class and all year on the field, but there is a ton of talent left in here. The quarterback position has been well addressed and Bijan Robinson is going to be a star, but some of the defensive commitments really have me more excited for Texas fans. Vernon Broughton and others will help this defense early.
2. Notre Dame — The Irish class isn’t getting a ton of attention but many needs have been met. The tight end duo of Michael Mayer and Kevin Bauman is impressive and Jordan Johnson will make an immediate impact. I like this group of defensive backs as well.
3. Florida State — Transition classes are always tough to fill, but I like what Mike Norvell is doing here, especially adding two solid quarterbacks and some key skill position talent. This team will get faster at some positions like wideout and defensive back with this class.
4. Miami — OK, I’ve been down on Miami recruiting in 2020 and for good reason — the Hurricanes have lost a bunch of commits and some key battles. However, they have some big-time boom-or-bust guys like Don Chaney, Chantz Williams and Michael Redding.
5. Nebraska — This is a big class for Scott Frost and I like the balance. The linebacker group has a chance to be elite and there are future stars at wide receiver and offensive line barring injury. There are many immediate impact guys in this class.
3. FIVE BIGGEST UNSIGNED 2020 PROSPECTS
While the early signing period has taken much of the attention away from the first Wednesday in February, there are still some War Daddy recruits left out there that haven’t signed or in some cases even committed. Here’s my prediction on five of the biggest...