Wake lands 3-star safety

Wake Forest has gone into the Midwest and grabbed one of the fastest-rising safety prospects in Southfield, Mich., three-star Dior Johnson. The nation's No. 24 ranked safety explained his commitment Tuesday night.
"Really, deep down in my heart, Wake Forest was that spot," Johnson said. "I was just evaluating all my options before I did make my commitment, but I talked it over with my parents and they felt Wake Forest was the best fit for me."
Wake Forest emerged in Johnson's recruitment after he took part in one of their summer camps and earned a scholarship offer.
"Pretty much when I went down (in June) and saw the campus, they took me on a tour, I talked with their coaches and I just liked the atmosphere down there," Johnson said. "I couldn't wait to get my parents down there, but it's so far from home we couldn't schedule a date and are still trying to schedule a date.
"I really went home and did my studying. Plus, my parents want me to go to a place with (good) academics and it can be a school where I can get a degree. They know Wake Forest is that spot."
Illinois and Indiana offered after Wake Forest and were in a final four that also included Cincinnati. Johnson had considered taking his commitment into the season, but felt the time was right to make the call for the Demon Deacons.
"I wanted to evaluate all the teams before I made a commitment and if it took the whole season to do that, then it took the whole season," he said. "Of the offers I have right now, Wake Forest is that team and I have dedicated my commitment to Wake Forest."
Wake Forest plans to play the 6-foot-2, 195-pound Johnson at the strong safety spot. He likes the future of the program under new head coach Dave Clawson.
"Wake Forest has a whole new coaching staff that came from Bowling Green, and I really trust that they are going to take Wake Forest to a new place," Johnson said. "I think they are going to be a force to reckon with in the ACC, and I want to take my talents to the ACC and show what I can do."
Johnson is ranked as the No. 7 player in the state of Michigan's 2015 class. He will play in a defensive backfield for Southfield High this fall that also features Division I commits Ray Buford (Minnesota) and Davontae Ginwright (Western Michigan).