Armand Perry doesn't mind speaking in hypotheticals.
The Las Vegas Bishop Gorman defensive back holds five scholarship offers and is receiving interest from a host of other schools. He still has a senior season to play and doesn't want to get carried away with narrowing his list or anything like that. Still, he doesn't mind playing "What If?"
So what if Perry had to sign a national letter of intent today?
"Honestly, right now, if I had to pick right now, it would be out of California and Arizona State," Perry said. "But that doesn't mean that schools that offered don't get a chance. But if I had to pick today, it would be ASU or Cal."
Nobody is making Perry pick today, though. He has a full season of football in front of him and a host of new schools testing his recruiting waters. The three-star safety camped at USC over the weekend and -- at least by his own assessment -- had a good day in front of the Trojans' coaching staff.
And while an offer wasn't made on the spot, the start of a relationship was formed.
"They started to talk to me," Perry said. "I actually talked to the whole coaching staff. They told me that they like me and that I have the ability to play there. They told me that, since they have sanctions, they have limited offers. They said that because of that they really take their time to evaluate before they offer scholarships."
USC isn't the lone newcomer to Perry's recruitment. In fact, there's plenty of new interest to comb through. He's on the radar of a number of Pac 12 institutions and at least one SEC school is also sniffing around.
"Oregon State is talking to me," Perry said. "LSU has talked to me. I talk to the LSU coaches a lot. San Jose State is also talking to me. So is Boise State."
Perry plans to attend UCLA's elite camp on Friday and hopes to insert himself on the Bruins' radar at that time. Regardless of if that happens or not, though, his timetable for a commitment seems to sorting itself out.
This won't be a signing day decision.
"I think I'm going to do it before the season," Perry said. "That's what I'm planning. I just want to visit the schools before I make a decision. After that, I'll probably make my decision."