Monday could be the day for the second decision for Hyattsville (Md.) DeMatha Catholic offensive tackle Cyrus Kouandjio if all goes according to plan. The 6-foot-7, 322-pounder will talk things over with his family and others and hopes to let either Auburn or Alabama know who has won this intense recruiting battle.
"Sometime Monday is the hope," said DeMatha head coach Bill McGregor. "It's not really set for a time or anything and we certainly won't make a big deal this time, that already happened. This time we'll hopefully get together, call the coaches and fax the papers and be done with everything."
McGregor has kept both Auburn, the school Kouandjio chose on national television on Wednesday, and Alabama, where his older brother Arie Kouandjio is a freshman, in the loop.
"I spoke to Gene Chizik from Auburn today and spoke to Sal Sunseri from Alabama today as well," he said. "Cyrus, to my knowledge, hasn't talked to either school today and I'm not sure if he will between now and time he decides. I think Auburn tried to reach him and he didn't call them back. I just think he's trying to get some time alone to talk things out."
McGregor feels the time has come to choose a school.
"He can't go wrong with either," he said. "And I think it's getting to that time to make a decision. I'll call him tomorrow just to check in and see where things are at. The longer it goes the tougher it could be."
Kouandjio, the nation's No. 1 offensive tackle and the No. 4 overall prospect, announced on national television that he was headed to Auburn but began to have second thoughts immediately after he got off the air. He did not send in his Letter of Intent like the majority of prospects on Wednesday and both Auburn and Alabama have continued to try to sway him their way.
Kouandjio has had numerous conversations with Auburn coaches but it is unclear if he's talked to Alabama since Wednesday. His brother signed with the Tide last year and most expected Cyrus to follow along, so his decision to choose Alabama's rival was a surprise to most. Now he will chose once again, possibly Monday.
Kouandjio has been unavailble for comment throughout the last few days.