Junior to Watch: Lendale White
School: Littleton (Colo.) Chatfield
Position: Running Back
Size and speed: White is 6-foot-2 and 225-pounds. He has a 40-yard dash time of 4.5 seconds.
Statistics: Last fall White rushed for 1,800 yards and scored 30 touchdowns for Chatfield despite sitting out two games with an ankle sprain. He also added another 260 yards receiving on only 10 receptions.
Honors: White was named a first team all-state running back as a sophomore and junior. He was an honorable mention all-state selection as a freshman.
Favorite Schools: “I have received mail from schools all over the country,” White said, “including USC, Kansas State, Nebraska, Texas, Michigan, Colorado, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Florida State, Miami, UCLA, Oklahoma State, Wisconsin, and Penn State.”
He has offers from USC, Kansas State, Nebraska, Texas, Michigan, Texas A&M.
“Texas, Kansas State, and USC probably send me the most mail.”
When asked for a list of his current favorites, named the following schools (listed in order of mention):
1. Kansas State – “They have good tradition,” White said. “Coach Petersen seems really interested in me. He sends me a lot of handwritten mail.”
2. USC – “I like their location and they have good tradition,” White said. “They are a team on the uprise. They have good academics and a tradition of big running backs.”
3. Texas – “They send me a lot of mail,” White said. “They seem to really care about you.”
4. Michigan – “I have always loved Michigan,” White said. “One of my cousins almost went there. They play big running backs there and their running backs are successful.”
5. Miami – “They are so good,” White said. “It would be great to compete and play with the athletes that they have down there.”
When asked if he had a current leader among his list of favorites, White said, “I don’t really have a favorite right now. I like USC and Kansas State but I don’t have any heavy favorite at this time.”
Skinny: White said the he is unlikely to stay in state and go to Colorado or Colorado State. “Unless nobody else offers me and they are my last resort, I will probably not stay in Colorado for college.”
“I’m a power runner with speed,” White said. “I don’t have to run over people. I can outrun people but I can also pound at
people if that is what we need. I’m also pretty good at cutting back.”
White is not sure what he wants to study in college.
Although White had played basketball as both a freshman and sophomore, he decided not to participate in that sport this winter.
He does plan to participate in track this spring.
“I’ll run the sprints and be part of the 4X100 meter relay team.”